Friday, February 1, 2008

An Upgraded Essay

The conversational style displayed in both essays and blogs form an intersection in the world of literature. Joseph Epstein explains that “there is no firmly set, single style for the essayist.” Epstein comments on William Hazlitt’s “Familiar Style” that recommends the essayist set “aside all pedantic and oratorical flourishes.” Blogs and essays both allow conversational, relaxed styles and are well received if they have good personalities. Blogger labels a blog as a “personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox.” Likewise, an essay “can be literary criticism, political manifestos, learned arguments, observations of daily life, recollections, and reflections of the author,” according to Wikipedia. Because blogs and essays are often personal, the liberty to add personality is not terribly difficult.
The primary differences between blogs and essays reside in their format and their time span. Blogs are strictly located on the internet while most essays are printed material. Although some essays are electronic, the ability to comment and continue the essay is not available. An admired aspect of a blog is the ability to leave personal comments. Daniel Kasman, a writer for the popular film discussion blog MilkPlus, thinks that posted comments will keep a blog “fresh and full of discourse.” The continuity of a blog is also attainable because more blogs can be posted. As Blogger writes bluntly, “a blog is a web site, where you write stuff on an ongoing basis. New stuff shows up at the top, so your visitors can read what's new. Then they comment on it or link to it or email you. Or not.” The blog comments and continual bloging add more life and personality, so in a sense a blog grows and blossoms while an essay becomes stagnant. Due to the easy access and growth, I think blogs are better than essays. I simply think that blogs are an upgraded essay; the same flexible style and personality with a few electronic enhancements.

4 comments:

The Invisible Observer said...

I agree with you that blogs are better than essays. With an essay, there will always be an ending. They also become dated. Blogs are updated and cease only when the writer decides to stop posting on the blog. Another great thing about blogs is the fact that readers can give feedback. The only interaction in an essay is the writer speaking to the reader(s). I also agree that personality is important to both a blog and an essay. It is sometimes more difficult to add that personal touch to an essay, at least in my case.

Jordan said...

I like your point about a blog’s continuity. I think it makes sense that essays become stagnant, as you said, while blogs can keep growing. I think I like that about blogs too; they can keep on expressing ideas, even ideas that contrast the writer’s, long after they are written. I guess that is the main difference between the two, the fact that you can comment on blogs, I mean.

doodlebug. said...

I agree that blogs are better than essays. They are like diaries I think, except everyone else can read them. The essay is mainly for the teacher, unless it is a class project where they get to read everything. Normally not many people get to read essays, but with blogs, they are on the internet and anybody can get their hands on them. People can tell you what they think about your blog even if you didn’t ask them, where as with an essay, pretty much anybody is going to tell you what they think, and that’s what you expect whenever you wrote it.

Katie Jo said...

I agree with you a hundred percent! I just couldn’t put into words like you did! I agree that blogs keep going and are all the time evolving into something greater. I think that essays are more for informational purposes even though they don’t always inform you about something that id true or what you want to hear...I have no idea what exactly it is that I’m trying to saying here but I liked what you said!