Monday, February 11, 2008

Jon for Every Season

Previewing clips of unreleased music on the internet, reading reviews, and rushing to the store to buy an EP? Why would anyone go through that much trouble for only a few songs? The answer: Jon Foreman has not only reinvented the EP but also released genius music. Foreman has cleverly composed a series of four EPs that showcase his personal songwriting and musical talent leaving his audience craving for more. After hearing the digital release of “Fall,” I bought the hard copy of “Fall, Winter” the week it came out in stores. And now that I have overplayed both EPs I am in great anticipation for the third EP, “Spring.”
There is a great difference between Foreman’s musical style in his internationally-renown band, Switchfoot, and his personal EP series. Instead of an energetic rock band, Jon reforms to his acoustic guitar and harmonica to produce some of the best folk music that I have heard in a while. In his personal releases Foreman also plays some solo piano pieces that convey the same peaceful mood of his EPs.
Although his music altered, Foreman continues to write good, honest lyrics. He craftily mixes a basic topic and personal experiences and creates a song. For example, in “Somebody’s Baby” Foreman depicts a homeless woman he saw brushing her teeth and the opposition she faces from society. The homeless woman is displayed as “somebody’s baby girl” who is not cared for because “when the people don’t want you, they just throw you money for beer.” Jon realistically ends the song with her “birth and the death were both over with no one to grieve.” However, Jon is not limited to concrete themes, but also writes in metaphors. His song, “My Love Goes Free,” is based on a caged bird that has a special song to sing to the world. The song was featured in the movie “Bella” and is a metaphor relating to the issues of abortion. Both “Somebody’s Baby” and “My Love Goes Free” are evidence of Jon Foreman’s skilled writing.
Thankfully the sequel, “Spring, Summer,” will be released this upcoming year along with four other albums. Jon Foreman is involved with several different musical projects and has a unique sound for each. Switchfoot will be releasing a full-length rock album while The Real Sean Jon will release pieces from Foreman’s acoustic project with Sean Watkins. With three different projects, Jon shows his ability to capture various audiences. I was originally drawn into Foreman’s music in middle school with their radio debut on my favorite rock station. I instantly became a fan of Switchfoot but looking back on the over-popular song that first caught my attention, I realize that I have grown in my music taste. Fortunately Jon’s music has matured as well. He not only appeals to various audiences but grows with them too; true talent! The fact that Foreman has a ten-year reputation for releasing quality music makes me anticipate 2008.

3 comments:

Lauren H said...

I am very interested in looking up Jon Foreman on itunes! I loved Switchfoot in middle school and so I am very excited to hear Foreman's own personal music style. Besides, I am BORED with the same old generic songs being overplayed and I want to hear something different! I want to hear some acoustic guitar melodies! I love it when bands take their songs and turn them acoustic...they are always way better in the end!

Jordan said...

Haha, I like that: “the over-popular song” on your favorite rock station. I definitely remember Meant to Live, and only knowing one line of the chorus. Even so, we still sang it over and over haha. It is funny to think about how much your taste has changed. For the most part, I don’t even know about any of the music you love now. It’s cool to read about how much you like Jon Foreman though.

Teacher Man said...

You've done a really good job of transitioning this from essay to blog. I hope you'll incorporate some of this "new" material into your next revision!