Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Dream Slightly Revised

Growing up I always believed what everyone said pertaining my future, “Katie, you can be anything you want to be when you grow-up!” Well now at 18 and trying to figure out what it is that I want to do with the rest of my life, the rude reality has hit and I can’t be whatever I want to be just because I want to. From the age of about five I always wanted to be a surgeon. My mother use to get so mad at me for stealing her stethoscope and her scrubs and running around the house touching everything I thought might have a heartbeat, whether it did or not who’s to say, and I would get so excited when I actually heard something. Growing up I was always one of those weird kids who when someone got hurt on the playground or out back behind my house I would try to fix them in any way I knew how, even if it was just sticking band-aids all over them. I started getting into the discovery health shows about surgeries around the 3rd grade and it still kills my parents when they walk into the room and there are people’s insides and a lot of blood all over the television but I am completely fascinated by the whole process. I love everything in health care, all the way from the diagnosis to recovery. Now that I have grown up I realize that not just anyone can be a surgeon I have had to change my direction a little bit. It takes years of school and being very intelligent to become a surgeon and I have realized that I don’t think I would be able to handle all the responsibility that comes along with the job. I have realized that I would still like to pursue nursing though, and even specialize in surgery. Even though I know I’m not going to be able to obtain my childhood dream of being a surgeon I am getting very excited about starting the process to achieve my slightly revised dream.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

That sounds pretty cool. I have never meat anyone who likes to watch the blood gush out. I like to watch them shows to. I think that it is great that you want to be a nurse. I can handle seeing the inside of a person on TV but I don’t think I could handle it in real life. You have to have a very strong stomach to be able to deal with it. Hope that everything works out for you.