Monday, February 11, 2008

My Unchanging Fascination with Narnia

C.S. Lewis, author and respected theologian, simply writes about what he loves in his book series, The Chronicles of Narnia. The series is full of fantasy, adventure, and spiritual truths that are a picture of C.S. Lewis’s faith. One of my favorite aspects of the Chronicles is the fact that their writer has to be one of the deepest spiritual minds in history, yet he values the simple childlike faith of the children in his books. Even though Lewis infused his faith into these books, the series has been my favorite ever since I can remember. My fascination with them as a fourth grader has not changed, even when my perception of the books has. The Chronicles of Narnia remains my favorite book series because the stories themselves are beautiful and exciting and because I can be encouraged by C.S. Lewis’s incredible faith while reading them.
My favorite books are those that provide escape into a very different world, especially into a world so beautifully different like Narnia. From the account of Narnia’s beginning in The Magician’s Nephew to the battle scenes in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the books keep me consistently captivated.
Ironically, while I love the fantasy and incredulity of the stories, The Chronicles of Narnia also encourages me because of the truths that are throughout the series. C.S. Lewis said that no novel is good unless it can be appreciated both as a child and as an adult, and I have come to agree with him. Even now, as a senior in high school, I still love to follow Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy through their adventures. Yet now, I can see a deeper level to the stories that I could not see when I was younger.
I love to read C.S. Lewis’s beautiful interpretation of the Creation story of Genesis in The Magician’s Nephew, when he accounts for the creation of Narnia. In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, Aslan, a picture of Jesus Christ, takes on the sin and punishment of Edmund and is brutally killed by the White Witch. This part of the story reminds me of the need I have for that kind of grace and of how thankful I should be that Jesus made that kind of sacrifice. Later, Susan and Lucy watch as Aslan is raised to life again, just as Jesus was made alive. I love to read these books, simply because I can find incredible reminders of what God has done.

2 comments:

Phil Da PIll said...

Thats awesome girl...i can't wait for the next movie to come out. We totaly need to go see it, and get everyone to go too. Awesome blog!, i would have run out of info already about that subject....yet you seem to be full of it.

Courtney said...

I never read the books but I did see the movie. It sounds to me that I should go read the book. I think you got way more out of it then I did. I never knew that it was a spiritual motivated movie. I like it that C.S. Lewis said that no novel is good unless it can be appreciated as a child and an adult. What is the use to love something but when you get older you lose all the meaning of why you love it.