Sunday, February 17, 2008

What exactly is a blog?

What is a Blog? To me a blog is similar to that of an essay. I think that the only major differences are that a blog lets you let out more anger and feelings in a quicker and more efficient manner than an essay does. At least that is how I have always used a blog, I guess until now. I think blogs were developed to let your friends and fellow bloggers know how you feel without having to confront them face to face or having them to read a really long five paragraph paper on how you feel about a certain subject matter. I think blogging is a short and sweet way to voice your opinion without boring your reader. You can say whatever you feel without feeling any remorse over it, because it is your blog. Alan Lightman states “In reading an essay, I want to feel that I’m communing with a real person, and a person who cares about what he or she’s writing about. The words sound sentimental and trite, but the qualities are rare. For me, the ideal essay is not an assignment, to be dispatched efficiently and intelligently, but an exploration, a questioning, an introspection.” I disagree with Lightman, I think essays are boring, I think that it is just an assignment that you express a feeling efficiently and intelligently. I believe that if you wanted to voice your opinion in a more scholarly, intelligent way then you should write an essay because they seem to take more time and effort to develop. They have less grammatical errors and usually take more time to put together. Personally, I would much rather write a blog any day. I hate having to stay up all night the night before an essay is due trying to cram in all my thoughts and all the research that is needed to make the essay seem ‘perfect’.

2 comments:

doodlebug. said...

I agree with you whenever you say that blogs are like essays, except shorter and less structured. I think that a blog is where you can express more of your feelings where as an essay has a specific pattern you have to follow. Blogs aren’t as hard to write as essays, they don’t take as much thought process as the essay or near as much planning either. I would much rather write a blog to an essay any day.

*~*Cali Alli*~* said...

I like how you said a blog was basically how someone was able to express their feelings without actually confronting people. I have never really thought about it like that. I mean I guess that is pretty much true because there are a lot of blogs that are just angry and people post them for everybody to read. Haha I thought you did some really good thinking in this blog, like stuff I had never really thought about!