Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Differences between a Blog and Essay

What are the differences in a blog and an essay? Well I don’t believe there are many differences between a blog and an essay. In “Essays are Not Scientific Documents,” it is said that essays aren’t necessarily all based on fact, and that they can even be “tongue-and-cheek, satire or testimony.” So this to me means that just because you are writing it down in what is considered the “essay form” it does not have to be based on a fact or just used for classroom and presentation purposes. The essay gives you information but just because it comes to you in the form of an essay doesn’t mean that it is factual and that you have to believe what it is telling you, even though they can be trying persuading you to lean towards the direction they are going with the topic at hand. Now in “What is a blog?” it also states that blogs are completely personal and are more like personal diaries. Even though I perceive an essay to have more structure and form than a blog would they really don’t have very different content. The essay can tell you about what is going on around them or what is happening but may not be presented in the personal way that a blog may be. Blogs do keep going though, essays have more closure at the end as appose to a blog where it can keep going as long as someone still has something to say about it or the blog has been posted somewhere for others to read and keep talking about . Okay so maybe the two of the have more differences than I originally thought but I still think that they are basically the same thing, just usually presented and interpreted in different ways but mostly containing similar information.

4 comments:

SarahBishop said...

haha. Katie, I love you. (:
The whole time I was reading this I could imagine you saying it. Especially when you got to the point of being like "Wellll, maybe they're more different then I originally thought... but whatever..."
Of course, that's me paraphrasing and changing it to be more like what I pictured you saying... but, you know.
I agree with everything you said, though. And I wish we could always write blogs... NO MORE ESSAYS!

<3

Phil Da PIll said...

YEs no more essays!!!!!!!..........well actually this class has really brought me to a revelation abut writing essays...lol. I kow weird!...but i am getting to the point where i can write passionatly and like doing it. But yet i loved ur points.

*~*Cali Alli*~* said...

I really like how you said that just because someone writes an essay doesn’t mean this essay is scientifically proven or any kind of fact for that matter. People always assume that an essay is so official and that it has authority over a blog because of its structured form. From reading your blog, I guess I see that not everything presented in an essay is fact. Thanks for persuading me do some critical thinking!

Courtney said...

I agree with you most essays are written without an research at all. You should not always believe what you read. Essays do have closure. Blogs like you said can keep going as long as some comments or post a blog about the same thing. I knew this girl my junior year that used a blog for a diary. I don’t think I would put stuff on the internet about my every day life. For this class it is ok though.