Sunday, February 17, 2008

go check it out

The first time I ever read The Outsiders was in middle school. I first saw part of the movie at my aunt’s house in Winston Salem. I was instantly hooked on the movie whenever I was filled in on what had been happening before I had gotten there. But I am not a really big movie fan unless I have already read the book. I think that there is a big difference between books and movies. In the book, you get to imagine more than you do with movies, but movies are also fun because you can compare what you came up with in your imagination from the book, into what the director came up with for the movie. The Outsiders has been my favorite book since. It is also a movie for all of those non-readers out there. It is about a group of boys that are all friends. The book goes in order of events, it doesn’t jump around from past to present like some of the other books I have read. It is really easy to follow along with, and really hard to put down in my opinion. You don’t really know what is going to happen next in the boys crazy, mixed up lives, but it is fun to be along for the ride. I know that in the book the boys get into some trouble and two of them have to get away from the city. And then an unspeakable event happens at their hideaway. The book will defiantly not let you down, and you won’t be able to put it down. In my opinion, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton is one of the best books I have ever read, and you should go and check it out at your local library or go rent to movie.

6 comments:

Lauren H said...

I have never read "The Outsiders" but I completely agree with your opinion of how movies can never compare with the original books. I think the only exception I can think of is the Lord of the Ring Trilogy. However, Pride and Prejudice was an awesome movie too...but, not exactly the same as the book! The worst book to movie rendition for me was Harry Potter where all the wonderful details in the book were left out in the movie and with it some of the magic too!!

Sky totha L izz AR said...

I liked what you had to say in your blog- however it was terribly hard to read- that aspect alone turned me off. Maybe your font could be bigger next time? I liked it as a whole but the “in my opinion” shouldn’t be in there. It is obviously your opinion. It seems like you summarized a lot- just telling me what it was about I liked how you brought up how you got into the book but just telling me the plot doesn’t make me want to go see the movie/book. Put a little more of you into it. – WHY you love it. It was good though.:)

Kenz said...

I have not read "The Outsiders". I think that I have seen the movie before, but it did not make me interested in reading the book, or I probably would have read it by now. I like how you said in your blog that you liked reading books, then watching the movies, and then comparing them to what you had imagined while reading to see if what you imagined is anything like that of the directors imagination of what happened. I never really thought of doing that.

Diamonds said...

Middle school? I think do not think I read that book until I was in high school, but I will say it was a pretty good book. I am more of a movie watcher than a book reader. I only really like reading books that can get my attention and keep it. For the most part the outsiders actually did that. Then of course after reading the book in class, we watched The Outsiders’ movie which was not too bad at all.

*~*Cali Alli*~* said...

I think that you really hit on the fact that movies are truly so different from the books from which they are based. I agree that it is cool when you are reading a good book because you are able to imagine all the characters and where they are and what is going on. Movies don’t give you that option; Hollywood already plans it out for you. Although I love movies, normally the books themselves are much better than the movie. This book sounds pretty cool! I might just have to check it out.

Katie Jo said...

I also love to read the books and then try and find a movie made after the book. One of my favorites was when I read the Notebook and then watched the movie even though the movie had a way better ending. But I seem to better comprehend what happened in the book after I watch the movie, but sometimes it's the opposite and I end up even more confused! I haven’t seen the movie that you are talking about but now I just might go watch it!