Thursday, February 28, 2008

here & now




Right now nothing comes to mind except the excruciating pain I’m in. I am really not much of a complainer but these past two days have been brutal. I started training at gym 365 with a trainer- and oh my goodness. I cannot move at all. My legs and arms and back, are well – dead.

Enough about that.
Let’s talk about the important thing—like how substandard conditions are at Davie high. For instance, I had a scholarship due last week, but the counselors weren’t available because they were completing freshman schedules, a process that has been going on for two months.

How many high schools have to navigate an administration with three different principals? Not many. True, every school has problems, but very few of them slap down 26 different trailers instead of building a new school.
Bottom line: I am for tax increase for a new school. We need it. Desperately.
Voters in Davie County need to come to our school for one day to see how crowded it is. Witnessing our squalor would change their votes—at least I hope it would.
Why are the county commissioners putting so much trust in common people who know nothing about education? True, it is their right to vote. But is it also their right to hamper our education?
Unfortunately, it all boils down to politics as a witless popularity contest.

Forgive my boldness. I am sorry if you have a commissioner in your family, or as a friend. But, for the sake of the students, the next time you see an elected official tell them if they had a conscience, they would do what is right for the school system and override the ignorant vote and build a new high school.

Sadly, the commissioners are more concerned with re-election than they are about what is right for the future of education in this county. Otherwise, they might have taken a stand and built a new high school regardless the consequence to the tax payers of Davie County. How bad would a small tax increase be if it ensured the future of the county?

But, in the end, it is Davie County. I don’t expect much from the leaders here anyway. What have they done to benefit me? Nothing. To benefit my parents? Nothing. And who sanctioned the clearing of land for the new hospital that was voted down by the state?! Why did we waste our money on something that wasn’t even promised? Whoever wasted money like that should be should have to go back to high school (and start all over again). Make them sleep in the bed they’ve made.

No matter what the circumstances are. Our county needs a turnaround, and fast.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Working out?! Believe me dear, your body is fine.

Our country* needs a turnaround, and fast. Fixed.

I agree with you 110%. I think this town is rather profligate, provincial, and over all profoundly ignorant. I always knew you had an angry streak. But yes, something needs to be done, quickly. But will anything be done? LoL no. Things will never change, changes that need to be made are always the last. Thus is the way of the world.

SarahBishop said...

Hah, I agree about your body. But, go you for sharpening your saw – as Mrs. Dunn would say. ;)

And I love his comment about fixing "county" to "country." It made me laugh, but I have to say I agree. Poor Davie County is really getting screwed over by people who just don’t want to admit what needs to be done - whether or not it gets done in a richer part of the county, or splits up a freakin' sports team. I, too, wish they could just spend a day at Davie High. But, even then… I’m not sure anything would change.

Courtney said...

I voted no for a new. It comes down to that is would be dividing our county into the rich side and poor side. The new school of course would be in advance. We as students as been separated since we started school. They should not take away the only thing that brings the whole county together. Think about all the fights that happen now at Davie. When I went there was a least three or so fights a week. I have a friend that said just the other week she walked into three fights in one day. It is just getting worse. If we make two high schools there is going to be even more hatred towards on anther when they are thrown into the work place where it really matters. What we need is one school that will fit everyone.

Unknown said...

I agree completely with you. Davie County has definitely fallen short in its conditions. It has been a really difficult transition for me especially, coming from a school of two hundred to almost two thousand. I think that because of the overcrowding, people are easily fall between the cracks not only in their classes but in the school enviroment as a whole. They desperately need to solve this overcrowding problem. I think that a lot of people don't quickly jump on the "build-a-new-school" train because of the fact that changes would only occur for a select group of people (I.e those in Bermuda Run and Oak Valley).

Katie Jo said...

So I defiantly give you major props for writing and posting about such a controversial topic in our county these days. Buy yes I agree, I do think that if half of the county would come spend the day at Davie and see just how much of a pain in the you know what it is to try and navigate or get anyone to help you with something they would see that there are obviously way to many people there and each individual student is not getting the help and attention that they should be receiving at such a crucial time to our future.

Diamonds said...

I do agree with your statement of it being more of a popularity contest over what is best
for our schools. Now although I agree with you on that I disagree with building a
completely new high school. I think that if they got the money and they have all of the
land right there around them, then they should build new buildings instead of wasting
money putting down trailers. Why go out and spend even more of the tax paier’st o get
more land some where else. even though you or I may not, there are some who would not
be able to handle a tax raise because their family is living pay check to pay check already
or what ever their reasons may be.