Monday, February 25, 2008

Wherefore art thou Blog? Deny thy essay father and refuse thy essay name...

There are many differences and similarities between blogs and essays. Blogs are essentially, essays posted on the internet with certain modifications. Blogs often lack the structure that is found in a stereotypical college essay. Many students issue essays in a more formal tone that can often be condescending or confusing to a reader. I think that blogs allow for more of an exploration into the ideas and feelings of the author. Furthermore, I feel that many students, when writing a blog, throw formalities out the window along with simple grammar and spelling. It seems easier to not proofread and rewrite when you know that you are not writing to an academic audience. I think that this is problematic for blog writers because they often do not know to whom they are writing. Essays are often easier to read because you have a targeted academic audience. In a way, you know what they want to hear and how they want to hear it. When a blog is submitted to the Internet, it is capable of reaching almost anyone. Therefore, one may not convey their thoughts in a manner that is pleasing to everyone that reads them. I think that the Internet provides a medium to be judged by your peers instead of your teachers. Of course, unbeknownst to the author, teachers could be reading their blogs too. I think that blogs and essays both have a certain patterns that simply depend on the author’s writing style. I think that blogs tend to be more “stream of consciousness,” while essays are dependent on an established structure. I also believe that blogs allow for a more free flowing form of writing instead of the usual often torturous process. Blogs break up the monotony of how ideas are expressed by the author. I think that in society, essays are more valued because of their structure. I tend to be more captivated by blogs simply because, in my opinion, blogs tend to contain more passion and emotion compared to their essay counterparts.

2 comments:

Teacher Man said...

You make some really interesting points—some of which I would like to address:
• “throw formalities out the window”
This is what I love about blogging. Theoretically, at least. Because essay writing has such negative connotations for so many people (thank yer English teachers!), it’s hard for the lot of us to write good ones. Blogging, on the other hand, seems (mostly) free of such connotations. It is, by its nature, less formal. All you need to blog: a computer, an internet connection, and something to say! And yet… that “something to say” bit is really at the heart of essay writing.
• “when you know that you are not writing to an academic audience”; “I think that this is problematic for blog writers because they often do not know to whom they are writing…it is capable of reaching almost anyone.”
This makes me question: Who is the blogger’s audience? This audience distinction is crucial to everything we write, but in this case, I wonder how one approaches writing blogs—knowing that your audience isn’t necessarily academic, but is potentially critical? Here again, this is why I love what we’re doing in this project!

Phil Da PIll said...

Yea i was about to say the same thing!..ha!. NO I really did enjoy that. I like how i can look over this class room and see there funny comments and jokes, but then i go on here and i see what really stirs in those minds.