Monday, February 25, 2008

The Legacy of Music and the Modern Musician

I want more for myself than to waste 65 minutes of my time listening to an album that I cannot cherish. I want everything in my life to have a certain timelessness, despite the fact that I probably will not. I would like my music to have its own legacy. In older music, I have found myself tied to a history that I don't necessarily have, the chance to connect to my "roots" and the ability to look at newer music in a refreshing way. When I reflect on older music, one of the most prominent figures in my mind is the late guitar player, Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix had a way of manipulating the guitar to produce a kind of sound that resonates in the ears of multiple generations. His music contains a certain quality that forces the listener to continually hear it, long after the song has finished. I often walk down the streets of downtown Winston- Salem listening to my iPod asking anyone who dares to get close enough, "Are You Experienced?" It is probably fortune on my behalf that they usually don't hear me. I feel that all music has its own historical tie which often goes undetected by the listener. What I hear from nostalgic music is not necessarily the lyrics that were written forty years ago, but instead I hear the emotions that are communicated through these records. Although rap has become a rather distorted genre, it still communicates to the listener the angry energy that stems from years of inequality and racism. Older music sometimes acts as the only association I have with previous generations. It is my connection to their time. Furthermore, many newer artist also use the associations that they find with older artist to supplement their own musical careers. Amy Winehouse, for instance, has collaborated with producer Mark Rohnson to create an album entitled "Back to Black" which features very Motown reminiscent hits. Winehouse has a soul stirring voice which could rival that of Billie Holiday. Artist such as Winehouse and John Legend have facilitated a new genre known as "retrosoul" or "retrojazz." Music has a fluidity that allows it to change into different sounds, communicating different ideas in different times. I feel that many older musicians have been able to achieve timelessness because of the emotion and drive that is reflected in their art.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I find truth in your writings. I like some older music. I look at older music like I look at an old photo. Things have changed sense then, so music, like photos, seems different. Same elements, same manipulation, different context. The way the world progresses introduces new substances to all forms of media and intellectual properties. I remember the earliest sounds of industrial music. It was very primitive, but profound. I could only imagine what people thought when throbbing gristle came out with their first album.