Tuesday, February 12, 2008

It's just a jump to the left...


Rocky Horror- I don't know if it was the atmosphere when I first saw this masterpiece, or the overly dramatic comedy, and catchy tunes that made me fall in love.

It was on new years night/morning, I was with my boss, his room mate, and her boy friend. I had never seen the movie, however, I always noticed it was referenced at random times in other forms of media. When my boss' room mate emerged with the DVD in her hand, it occurred to me- I've yet to be culturally educated by this specific work. When she put it in, I wondered what this adventure into the unknown held for me. Never actually reading a synopsis on the movie, I only went into this experience with the knowledge of "hey... this movie is referenced all the time!" The only other franchise that comes to mind that could hold a candle to Rocky Horror's fame in references would have to be Star Wars.

The movie started, and as it went along I discovered other interesting connections to this movie made in pop culture. Things like some of Manson's outfits he wore on tour, or Jimmy Urine's bisexual antics. The classic tunes took no time to introduce themselves. Who doesn't know the time warp? I was observing an epic tale of a couple, Brad and Janet, that ran into the wall of the unpredictable. When they are stranded In the middle of nowhere with only one place around for miles and miles. This place is none other than the house of Doctor Frank N. Furter (yes, he's the satirist's answer to Doctor Frankenstein). Frank N. Furter is a sweet transvestite that wants to create the perfect man. As the night goes on they are faced with "coming of age" problems, and are truly tested with moral dilemmas. If there is a correct time for anyone to watch Rocky Horror, it's when you're an older teenager. I know this movie is something i will probably take with me through the ages.

4 comments:

The Invisible Observer said...

Wow, Rocky Horror! Talk about a crazy fun movie. The Rocky Horror Picture Show is the epitome of the “cult classic” films. The first time I watched it was around Halloween at least three to five years ago. I watched it mainly because Tim Curry was in it. When I saw him dressed in the corset and everything, I fell off of the couch laughing and crying. I was kind of grossed out when it was revealed that the meat was Eddie (Meat Loaf). I like that you used the picture in your blog post. Let’s do the time warp again!

Diamonds said...

I to have noticed and seen the references to this movie, but at the time I did not Know what movie they were coming from. I have not yet seen this movie Rocky Horror, I did not even hear about it until one day when I was visiting my sister and we were watching VH1’s I love the 80’s. That was the first time I had even heard the name of the movie. I liked the references that I had seen because they were funny, but who’s to say that the movie itself could stand up and be that funny. So thanks for giving me one more reason to see the movie.

The Man Who Fell To Earth said...

Catchy tunes always make for a good time. Rocky Horror is indeed a timeless masterpiece to be enjoyed by all, although some cannot appreciate it for what it is: an experience. Ah, transvestites. They always make for a good movie. Jimmy Urine is a cool name, if you like piss and stuff. Nah, he’s pretty cool. Marilyn Manson totally rips everybody off; I mean even his name, c’mon now. Ah, for I have not much to say about Rocky Horror.

SarahBishop said...

Like you, at least before you finally saw it, I've always heard people talking about the Rocky Horror Picture Show, and I've even seen parts of it... but never had the opportunity to watch it all the way through.

I just want to let you know that after hearing you talk about it so much, and reading everything you had to say about it... I really want to go watch it now.

I guess you're doing this whole blogosphere thing right!