Friday, February 1, 2008

You name it, I probably wanted to be it.

When I was a little girl, I had many dreams. I aspired to be a range of things, from a paleontologist to a stay at home mom, with a rich husband. Haha. You name a job, I probably wanted to do that job. When I was about seven or so, I wanted to be a doctor, mainly because my older cousin Megan always talked about wanting to be a doctor. She was four years older than me and I always wanted to be just like her.

Then, when I was about eight or nine years old, I decided that I wanted to become a paleontologist, I guess this did not come as a big shock to my parents, since I had always had a fascination with rocks, fossils, bones, etc. When I was a tiny little girl, I would go outside in our driveway and pretend to find gems or fossils in our driveway, mainly on Sunday mornings before church. Then I would put them in bucket and wash them with a toothbrush and carry them into the house. My mom would always get upset with me because I would go dig and get into dirt in my church clothes. Soon after I decided that I was going to be a paleontologist, I began collecting every single book that I could on dinosaurs, how they lived, what type they were, and what their bones looked like. Finally, I had my mind set, I was going to travel the world scouring for fossils, mainly that of dinosaurs. I can even remember that one year for Christmas, “Santa” brought me the Paleontologist Barbie doll. It was my favorite toy that year, even though I got everything else that I asked for. Eventually, I grew out of wanting to be a paleontologist and jumped to another career.

At the age of eleven or so, I went back to the thought of being a doctor. I decided that I thought it would be cool to deliver babies, so I told my mom and she said that a gynecologist does that, I had no clue what that was, but then my mom explained all of what they did, I very quickly changed my mind to maybe a pediatrician, but I have a phobia of throw up, and I could picture a little kid throwing up on me, so that was definitely out of the question. So then that left me with the question of what am I going to do with my life?

Then, when I was about fourteen or so, I went through a personal experience that inspired me to become a lawyer. I can see myself as a future District Attorney, and I am pretty content with that decision. I have decided to pursue my career at Lenoir-Rhyne College, where I will major in Political Science and then continue on to graduate school to get my law degree.

2 comments:

Sky totha L izz AR said...

Kenzie! I love the noticeable change in time in your blog- not to mention the colorful “I’s.” I liked how you did that it made me want to go back to that 4th grade English teacher who taught me never to mention “I” in my writing and shove your blog in her face…maybe not so violent but it did bring up a liberated feeling within me. So do you know where you want to be a District Attorney? Do you want to stay in NC or move somewhere bigger? That’s really exciting- the only other person I know that wants to be a lawyer is Matt VanHoy. Where do you want to start- not saying that you won’t or can’t start out at the DA position right out of college- but if that doesn’t work out do you want to start at the lawyer position or somewhere else? I hope everything works out wonderful for you! You will be a great District Attorney.

Unknown said...

Wow. I thought that it was really neat that you wanted to be a doctor because your sister did also. I can remember doing the same thing with my older brother. I think everybody goes through a collecting phase but it was cool how you turned your hobby into an actual profession.It sounds like you took them very seriously. How did your mom feel about your anticipated careers? What career was the most fun for you? Good luck with Lenoir- Rhyne and your dream of becoming a District Attorney!