Saturday, February 9, 2008

Essays vs. Blogs


When I think of writing, my stomach instinctively tightens. A normal writing experience for me always includes a long night spent stressing out over a five page essay that is due the next morning. I have never done well with the constraints that are included with essay writing. I am much more relaxed when I finally have the chance to write with a little creativity. I think the amount of creativity is the biggest difference between essays and more informal writing, such as blogs. According to Joseph Epstein, “the essayist never comes out to tell you his view of the matter being discussed, never attempts directly to assert his personality, and never even slips into the first- person singular.” When writing a blog, the writer has so much more freedom to express their individuality without necessarily worrying about being criticized. No person ever writes an essay unless their English teacher has assigned it or unless they want to express more serious ideas on a more educational topic. For example, a scientist writing a lab report is required to follow certain guidelines in order to cover the details and technicalities that must be included. Basically, essays are just pretty serious stuff. I think a blog can best be compared to a person being interviewed. I agree with Edward Hoagland’s opinion that during an interview, “you are not interested in the exact words that come out of the people’s mouths but in the essence of their meaning.” A long winded conversation is not what anyone wants to hear and so in contrast, blogs allow for the writer to get straight to the point. Blogs can be developed in a few short sentences. However, an essay requires five or more paragraphs before the topic have been fully discussed and usually by that your reader has become bored with your writing. I would definitely chose blogging over an essay any day!

3 comments:

Rebecca Of Tomorrow said...

But you wrote this blog post very well and you did follow grammar, diction, and construct rules. So whether you call your writing a blog or an essay, you've got the hang of it.
Kudos.

Kenz said...

I get that same feeling in the pit of my stomach before writing an essay. I too hate staying up late the night before, trying to perfect a five page essay. I would so much rather write about something that I wanted to write about. I have never done well being told about what I have to write about, I would much rather be creative and write whatever I feel or whatever I feel that I could write easily about.

Diamonds said...

I get a bit of the nerves too when I have to write, but not many do not get a case of the nerves when it comes to doing something that is important. I agree that a person has more freedom when writing a blog than of a person who would have to write an essay. With an essay it is like the writer is somewhat obligated to stay with a specific topic. I would also agree with what Mr. Edward Hoagland’s opinion of not being interested in the words but being interested in the essence of their meaning. Really who would not pick blogging over essays?