Thursday, February 21, 2008

Johnny Depp is so amazingly gorgeous


If you know me, you know that I am pretty much a movie and media junkie. Let me enlighten you with something you must know. Make no mistake, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street is one of the most amazing movies that you could ever see. This movie, even though it is a musical or maybe especially because it is a musical, has some of the greatest talents of today’s cultural media. The fact that Johnny Depp, voted one of the hottest men alive, actually sings is reason enough to see this film. Even if you are a guy, Johnny Depp’s acting in this movie is outstanding. Johnny Depp actually won “Best Actor” for this role at the Golden Globes. Sweeney Todd was originally a Steven Sondheim Broadway production in the 80’s, but when Tim Burton took over the plot and put his crazy mind into the recreation, the product was simply amazing. This movie has everything. It has humor, revenge, romance, tragedy, and not to mention a slight bit of gore. I loved this movie so much that I even purchased the soundtrack. My favorite part of the movie, besides Johnny Depp, was the irony of the duets. I thought it was fascinating how two different characters were singing the same words to a song, but having meanings that were in complete opposition. For instance, Sweeney Todd (Johnny Depp) was singing about his “friends,” which were his razors and at the same time Mrs. Lovett (Helena Bonham Carter) was singing about her “friend,” which was Sweeney because she had an enduring love for him. These characters were singing identical phrases, but the irony of the meanings was captivating. People will tell you to see movies all the time, but this one is definitely a must see. I cannot even begin to give this film the justice it deserves so what are you waiting for? Stop reading what I have to say about it and go check it out. You will not be disappointed.

7 comments:

Kenz said...

Well I like the picture that you picked out for you blog. I like that you said that you said that you are a media/movie fanatic, because it is the truth, everytime I talk to you, you are always talking about a new movie. I wanted to see Sweeney Todd, just because Johnny Depp is in it. I am pretty sure that your blog has for sure convinced me that I WILL SEE IT when it comes out in the video stores.

The Invisible Observer said...

I agree with you that Johnny Depp is pretty hot and an amazing actor. I have not seen Sweeney Todd. I did see the previews for the movie. I have heard of the musical, mainly in the Ben Affleck movie Jersey Girl. I am a movie/media junkie, too! Have you seen Depp’s 1990 movie Cry-Baby? He is so hot in that movie! His character sings, but Johnny didn’t actually do the singing. I might check the movie out. I do not really like blood and gore. I do like Tim Burton’s darkness, though. He did a great job with Batman (1989) and Batman Returns (1992).

Mark's Blog 2.0 said...

Keep in mind when you talk about Tim Burton's work--not only did he bring us Edward Scissorshands and Batman, but through the vision of Burton, we are also blessed with Pee Wee's Big Adventure. . . and we think about it, the three characters do have a great deal in common:

(1) All three are depicted as aloof from the culture. Batman, quite literally, moves freely above Gotham City, while Edward and Pee Wee's aloofness is more their personality.
(2) All three are on a quest: Batman is looking for justice; Edward, for love and acceptance; Pee Wee, for his bicycle.
(3) All three have an attraction to technology: consider Batman's numerous gadgets; Edward has technology are his fingertips (sort of); Pee Wee's bike and his home are ingenious wonders!

Unknown said...

Yes =). Simply yes. I was eventually going to partake in the watching of sweeney. Though I would see it, it's something I was looking forward to. However, after reading this I honestly want to see the movie. You've done a great job describing and bringing to light what makes the movie great. I use to hate musicals. Though, the more I watch them, the more i fall in love with them LoL ><.

Phil Da PIll said...

Yes i enjoyed seeing the musical talents of the man that made me want to be a pirate again. It is more and more of his talent that he is revealing to our world. lol Yea you makle me want to go see it again...i think i will now thanks to your ever so passionate blog.

SarahBishop said...

I loved this movie, too! Wes & I saw it and he ended up buying the soundtrack on iTunes a couple days later and burning it for me. I agree with the thing about the duets - that's one of my favorite parts of it, too.

This is random, but in one part of a song we play it reminds me so much of Sweeney Todd. I don’t really even know why, but it does. And I was thinking about you and this class when I realized it. Haha, So I thought I’d share that with you.

Sky totha L izz AR said...

Hey! Very very convincing- you pulled me in when you mentioned Johnny Depp sings. Wow. I want to go see this movie now. Do you know when it will be out on dvd? If It is at all…
Nice use of color too, I am family with the plot and the red—it’s a nice touch. However- I wasn’t aware of the duets and am very excited to hear them now. Man I want to go see this movie now. Thanks :)