Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My version of "Asphalt Jesus"

Over the summer I was on a street acting team I Brazil. I went around the second biggest city in the country and performed a mime. The mime was called "The Redeemer" and I really liked it because I could perform and change the way people think without even speaking their language. The whole idea of traveling around with a group of five or six people that you have never met before was fun too. I got to meet some very cool people but learning the skit at first was very awkward. If you have ever acted, you know that you have to be outgoing. After traveling for twenty some hours, you do not feel like being outgoing or learning a skit with people who you have never met. Anyway after six fun, long hours of practice and an awesome Brazilian pizza we learned the skit and performed for the next nine days almost non-stop.Like practicing for any improve drama, funny things always occur. For example, when performing on the side walk in Brazil, my friend was pretending to be dead in the street. She almost was not pretending when a car stopped two inches from her head. Another funny thing that happened was we were performing on the street and it was absolutely quiet. Someone said "that as soon as we got to the crucifixion scene everything would be really loud and busy." Of course, at the climax of the skit there was a lot of bustle, one of the actors almost got ran over by a horse. While the horse was passing, we were all thinking the same thing: "I hope that horse does not crap." Now that I am back in the states, I have decided to teach a group of my friends the skit. I had to make all the props and find the training video and after that find people who would be willing to learn the mime. My group and I will be performing this Saturday for an audience of 130 people. This is exciting, well it was exciting until I learned that one of the actors got hurt in a wrestling match and will not be able to fill the part of God. So now in less than a week I have to find a replacement of God, the big man himself; not exactly easy. After searching and not being able to recruit anybody, my dad finally volunteered to help me. It was really sweet because that is not my dad's cup of tea and it will be really awkward for him because he does not know any of my friends and he is much older than everyone in the mime (at least thirty some years older). But none the less my dad was very loving and volunteered to save my butt. Fortunately someone just volunteered today to help me and will be more fitting for the part and is a frequent actor.

3 comments:

Jordan said...

I love hearing about your trip to Brazil...that trip was so fitting for you, and I'm so glad that you got to do what you love again. And now you get to teach and use what you learned here. pretty sweet. You are a very talented actress. Oh and I am very very glad you got a replacement God…Phillip’s definitely not the worst replacement haha. I hope this Saturday goes well; I will most likely be there to see it. :)

Phil Da PIll said...

well girl, i hope that i will be able to give u good performance. LOL although we can do it in the street.How interesting. Yes i have enjoyed thinking about how drama can really reach into a persons spirit and drag the impossible dream out of them.

Phil Da PIll said...

Oh yea thanks Jordan.....people say i am just like Jesus....OH! gosh it's starting to lightning!..that was close hahahaha.