Monday, February 18, 2008

Hemingway’s The Sun Also Rises takes the reader to a place unknown to the “goody goods” of today’s society. I am in no way bashing the morally elite population of America, but simply trying to seduce them into Hemingway’s world. The Sun Also Rises includes the amoral lifestyles of both Brett and Jake. Perhaps Hemingway expresses his view on sexually independent women through Brett because of the consequences he puts her through. Brett’s sex drive prevents her from having a relationship with Jake although she loves him. The Sun Also Rises is a riveting adventure through Jake and Brett’s relationship. Both Jake and Brett manage to escape their flawed relationship by excessive drinking. Because I was born in the Bible belt, if I even had such thing as a sex drive or touched alcohol, I would be shunned. May I remind you reading, and engaging are two different verbs. Hemingway provides the world that most people lust about. The major themes in The Sun Also Rises consist of issues the post modern generation often thinks about. Hemingway writes on excessive drinking, false friendships, failure of communication, destructiveness of sex, and male insecurity. Through Hemingway’s novel one could conclude the consequences of such distressing events, in hopes to one day survive internal struggles of your own. The Sun Also Rises acts as a teaching tool, as well as a fantasy world come to life. The novel is one of my favorites, in a world of false perfection I am able to resort to Hemingway. He places the realities of my life in fictional form. By doing so, I can translate the character’s situation to my own in hopes to truly understand and resolve the conflicts I may be going through. Hemingway is a literary genius. He knows what trials people will go through if its 1920 or 2008. I would recommend the novel to every walk of life. It helps.

No comments: