Monday, February 11, 2008

Getting Into a Galaxy Far, Far Away


Star Wars has been a favorite of the public since its inception over thirty years ago. I have loved Star Wars since I was a child. It brings people together, providing them with escape from their worlds and into the large variety of media spin-offs.
People choose to celebrate their love of Star Wars in several different ways. Many go to conventions dressed up as their favorite characters such as Princess Leia or Darth Vader. I have never been to a convention before. Although, I did have to dress up as Princess Leia for a dance recital! I would absolutely love to go to one of the conventions, dressed up or not. A friend of mine and her boyfriend has a mutual love of Star Wars. They plan to get married in a Star Wars themed wedding. He wants to dress as a Jedi and have a man dressed as Yoda marry them. I have visited some of the best Star Wars fansites out of the millions that are on the Internet. My favorites are TheForce.Net, Wookieepedia, Viridity and The Other Side of the Sky. The latter two are dedicated to Jacen and Jaina Solo, respectively.
Everyone has a time where they would like to break away from reality. I choose to escape through reading a good book or by watching something on TV. I am able to do this with Star Wars. My favorites of the films are Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi. About 99% of the books I read are Star Wars books. I find the mixture of science fiction, action/adventure, romance and mythology refreshing. I can relate to most of the characters. Some of the best characters are the ones who make morally ambiguous decisions.
The saga of Star Wars is not told only in the famous film series. The stories are continued and built upon in the Expanded Universe. The Expanded Universe incorporates the officially licensed books, comics, video games, etc. I own over seventy books and have read the majority of them. My favorite is The Last Command, in which Han and Leia have their twins. I have a few comics. I am currently following the story of Luke’s descendant Cade Skywalker in the Star Wars: Legacy comics. I eagerly await the new Clone Wars TV series coming in the fall and the live action series next year.
I encourage those of you who are reading this to give Star Wars a try, if you haven’t already. Watch one of the movies. Read a book or comic. If you find that you don’t like Star Wars, that is fine. If you find that you do, great! But just give it a chance. May the Force be with you!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I dig your blog oh so much! It's awesome to have an escape from reality- this place sucks. I think that if you wanted to create a hobby out of a piece of pop culture, star wars should stand second to none. I too am a fan of star wars, i'm pretty sure anyone that was a child is as well. Star wars will always have a place in my heart, going back to when my dad introduced them to me when i was 5. Ironically, star wars is one of the few things i remember from that age.

I definitely connected with the "escape from reality part" -_-.

always standing small said...

Sounds like you really like Star Wars. When was your recital that you dressed up? I cannot imagine being married by Yoda…do you want something Star Wars related at your wedding or at any other major event in your life? I am not really familiar with the storyline of Star Wars…I’ve only seen one movie. Is there a lot of plot missing in the film versions? Do you like the movies or the books better?

Jordan said...

I love how much you know about this. I think it’s fascinating. I mean I really like Star Wars too, don’t get me wrong. But it was very interesting reading about your expertise. And I agree too about the escaping from reality. I appreciate that a lot about fantasy books and television and things like that. I think that is the purpose that they should serve. Anyway, so thanks for sharing your insight :)

Courtney said...

I have only seen one of the movies. I like how you use it to escape from reality. I used my favorite pop culture for the same thing. Reality is way to harsh some times. It is great to have something that you can lose yourself in. I think that it is cool that your friends want to have a theme wedding of Star Wars. It is good that you like to read the books. I hate to read. I could never read as many books as you do.