Thursday, February 21, 2008

It Seems BuzzSugar Has No Appreciation For The Finer Things In Life.

BuzzSugar posted a review of Joanna Newsom's Ys on his blog at buzzsugar.com and here are some of his thoughts:

"First of all, let me just say that I've tried—very hard—to fall under the enchanting spell of Joanna Newsom, to which most of my friends and fellow music fans have succumbed. Though I wasn't a fan of the baby-talk singing style and boring arrangements on the harp player's first album, 2004's The Milk-Eyed Mender, I decided to give Newsom's new album, Ys, a chance after reading a few stellar reviews and hearing good things from several Newsom-fanatic friends whose opinions I respect very much." Later he says, "Despite my best efforts, I still just can't embrace the classic-pop sound of this elvin-voiced chanteuese, who makes Bjork sound like a wise old matron."


I found it easy to be swept up in Newsom's voice and I believe her harp arrangements and the music she makes is wonderful.


"Call me, er, new-fashioned, but I like my music with just a little bit more roughness. Many people point out what they perceive as high-poeticism in Newsom's lyrics, but to me, the incredibly dense poetry often comes off as rambling and amateurish. Plus, after a few listens, I found myself yearning for lyrics about something besides bears, ponies, and "Sibyl sea-cow all done up in a bow."


I really like the old fasioned style of Newsom's poetry and I enjoy the fact that it is full of fantastical things and situations.


"If you like it, please come back and explain to me why I'd ever want to put this CD on regular rotation."


Well, Joanna Newsom's music is not something that can be explained. It's kind of a love it or hate it type thing. But if you do love it, then it is easy to listen to all the time, as I do, sometimes. I don't listen to it all the time. But I could if I wanted to.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree when you say that Joanna's music is a "love it or hate it" thing. I'm of the former persuasion, yet I do understand how someone could belong among the latter. Is it possible for people to learn to appreciate something that reminds them more of noise than music? Yes, but I doubt that it can be forced. That's why I don't try to shove Joanna down the throats of family and friends. If I'm playing her music around someone, and they express a liking for it, then I continue. If they wrinkle their nose and exclaim "Eww! What is that?" then I switch to something else. No sermons. No debates. No attempted conversion. I just move on. Anything else would be pointless. Loving Joanna's music does not require it.