Tuesday, February 26, 2008

what a couple of weeks

I would have to say that I really enjoyed this class. It was a very entertaining and fun eight week, Ahh, I mean six week class. But of course it was not all, as of the last week when everybody was trying to get their work in on time. Seriously though it was not all fun, we actually learned something from it. The class, in its own way, it tore down all the walls, rules, and boundaries that were given to me about writing essays and other big papers from practically all of my previous writing teachers. Before when I wrote an essay or any other major paper I always followed the same routine and the same structure. That way of writing had me writing five paragraphed papers that did not have any of my own personal thoughts and or opinions. But for the first time, in a long time I am sure, when writing my paper the teacher actually wanted us, the students, to write about what we think. That really opened up my mind to the possibilities of good writings and brought me one step closer to being able to write a good essay or paper.
I would say that I had never ever written a Blog before this class no matter how popular it may be. They are alright but I still prefer writing in journals instead. Even if I have to do a free write and a prompted journal, I still like journals better than blogs. Although blogs are or can be shorter than other papers and essays. I might even start some writing again and getting better at especially sense I want to get into the film business and eventually write or co-write my own script that will be made into a popular movie one day.

Which reminds me, anyone interested?

4 comments:

The Invisible Observer said...

I agree with almost everything you wrote. I liked how we were able to give our own opinions. I do not think that I have ever written in response to an essay prompt that asked us what I liked and why. Expository Writing has been a fun and challenging class. This class has helped my writing. Like you, I used to write the typical five-paragraph paper. This was my first time writing a blog, too. However, I liked writing the blog better than the journals. The freewrite was the best part of the journal. It allowed me to commentate on TV shows that I love. I would like to get into the film business too! Well, to be more precise, I want to be involved in television (just not acting).

Lauren H said...

This class was so unique and I think more modern in a lot of aspects. I love how for once in my life a writing class is more about developing your own personal writing style then about writing the "perfect" essay about another boring topic assigned by another dinosaur of an English teacher. I loved this class and I did not think it was possible but it makes me look forward to college even more!

Courtney said...

I agree with you. Not having boundaries to write an essay was great fun. You can express what you really think and feel. But to me it was hard trying not to write like you are used to. I liked doing the journals also. To me I really did not have to think as hard as with the blog.

Unknown said...

I completely agree with you. This class has given me a new perspective on how to approach an essay and writing in general. While I never found writing tortuous, I found myself having to rack my brain to figure out how I actually "felt" about what I was writing. I agree that this class has been very entertaining and we learned a lot. I too preferred the journals to the blogs. This class inspired me to put a little more thought into what I was actually writing about.