Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Flow through movies.


Movies are a big thing for me. I watch them all the time. I like to talk about them, which is why I thought it would be a good subject for this blog.


What I like in a movie is creativity, vision, style. Some movies I enjoy watching purely because of how they look. One of my favorite movies is A Scanner Darkly. I originally wanted to see it simply because of how it looked. The movie was filmed and then animators traced over the original footage. Turns out it's a really good movie regardless, but that creativity drew me in.


Jim Jarmusch has a distinct style for his movies. He's one of my favorite directors. His movies capture the beauty that can be found in seemingly mundane, everyday experiences. His films are very slow paced with a very light plot, or no plot at all. In his words, "Life has no plot, why must films or fiction?"


Michael Gondry is another director I like. The Science of Sleep is an amazing movie. It's just such an experience, full of fantasy. It's a very creative film.


This seems to be turning into sort of a list of movies, so I've got to talk about Gerry, a film directed by Gus Van Sant. The average length of the shots in this film is sixty seconds, which is very long. This film is very slow paced, but very visionary and interesting to watch.


Alejandro Jodorowsky has written and directed some really amazing films. He creates surreal films full of symbolism and spirituality. Sometimes disturbing, and oftentimes hard to decipher, watching films like El Topo or The Holy Mountain is definitely an unforgettable experience.


Harmony Korine uses out-of-date and unconventional techniques to film his movies, which gives them a distinct look. He creates rather simple movies, in terms of plot, that investigate human actions and relations.


Well, after I started to write this I realized I don’t really have much else to say except, “I like movie title”. It’s hard for me to express feelings about movies in words so, just watch these movies, and a bunch of other movies. Or don’t.

3 comments:

Teacher Man said...

Okay. You do realize that the image you've linked depicts one of the single biggest influences on my post-high school life, right? And I'm not talking about Iggy Pop. I actually got a chance to see Tom Waits in Ashville two years ago... Best show ever.

The Man Who Fell To Earth said...

Yeah I saw that he was coming but the tickets were like two hundred dollars. I cry to this day that I did not go.

Unknown said...

Dylan, i like how much you read into what you like. You genuinely have a knowledge of the thinks you like. The knowledge you've acquired is something i genuinely can say i like about your style. If you're going to like something, why not go whole heartedly into it, right? Keep the love alive, bro. We should chill sometime and just watch movies.