Sunday, March 2, 2008

A Wild, Crazy, Zany Aspect to the Characters...

owen_edwards from WGC, Herts, England left this comment on imdb.com about the television show What I Like About You:

"The premise and scripting of WILABT are both reasonable, and compared to many comedies out there, they're excellent. However, by the standards of Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond and Frasier, this is a distinctly average show.What makes me watch it every time it's on are Amanda Bynes and Wesley Jonathon. Jonathon is a great character actor, and livens up what could be a dull character (the "Best Friend"). The part of Henry is excellently written, which surprised me, as the Val and Jeff characters are both weak. But as I said above, Amanda Bynes makes this a good show. Easily the most talented teen on television, and in the top 10, whatever age, of current times, she's a great asset to the show. Rubber faced, with what could be described as a "beauty in repose", she takes a part that's been poorly-written, with physical humour that could easily look horrible, and makes it funny.What America may have found here is a true star - not a mildly talented actress like Lindsay Lohan..."

I agree with some of these statements made by owen_edwards and I also disagree with some of the other statements. I think that Amanda Bynes does make for a good actress, and so does Wesley Johnathon, but I do not think that the character Val, played by Jennie Garth is a weak character. I think that her and her best friend Lauren, played by Leslie Grossman are uniquely funny. I also disagree with the statement that the part played by Amanda Bynes is poorly written, and she is the reason that the part it is good. I think that the part is well written and she attributes to making the part funny, with her humor and natural ability to be comical, but even if she had not been picked to play the part, then someone else could have made her role as Holly Tyler funny and well played. I agree with what owen_edwards says about the role of the best friend, although, I think that both Wesley Johnathon and Leslie Grossman bring something that livens up the character of 'the best friends'. I think both bring a wild, crazy, and zany aspect to these characters.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0321018/usercomments

1 comment:

Lauren H said...

I love "What I Like About You"! I try to watch the show everyday after school. I completely agree with all your opinions of the characters in the show. I really love Amanda Bynes and I think she is a wonderful actress because she is great at comedy. I love her movie “She’s the Man.” Well, I must admit that I mostly love that movie because of Channing Tatum but, she is really good in it too!