Sunday, March 2, 2008

I <3 Novak Djokovic...More Than I <3 Tennis?


I read an article recently about Novak Djokovic, number three tennis player in the world, which recounted the amazing story of Djokovic’s climb to victory at the 2008 Australian Open. Djokovic is not only an inspiration to the tennis community but also hands down my favorite tennis personality. Djokovic first caught my attention a few months ago when I saw a youtube.com video where he imitated various tennis celebrities such as Maria Sharapova, Roger Federer, Lleyton Hewitt, Andy Roddick, and Raphael Nadal. His impersonations of each player’s character were so exact that I couldn’t help but begin falling in love. Djokovic even performed live during his quarterfinal defeat of Carlos Moya at the 2007 US Open. I think Djokovic brings something to the sport that until recently has been lacking; a lovable personality combined with charm and superior tennis skills.

Born in 1987 in Belgrad, Serbia, Novak Djokovic’s past is a true Cinderella story. The story is that while Djokovic was growing up in Belgrad, he began his tennis training in an empty swimming pool. Prompted by the lack of indoor court tennis facilities, a sports club official had the idea to drain an Olympic-size swimming pool in the winter and put down a green carpet and net.

In January of 2008, Djokovic surprised everyone by soundly defeating the world’s number one tennis player, Roger Federer, in three straight sets in order to advance to the Australian Open finals. In the finals he defeated Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in four sets to become the new champion of the Australian Open. At twenty years old, Djokovic is the youngest player to win the Australian Open championship title since Stefan Edberg in 1985. Well apparently, Djokovic is not only good at playing in an empty swimming pool.

Novak Djokovic is just one more reason as to why I love tennis.

1 comment:

Sky totha L izz AR said...

So I just watched the YouTube video on him. Oh man I laughed out loud- I agree 100% with you that he brings a new personality to professional tennis. He’s cute too :) I like the Sharapova one the best. He does well playing a woman. Do you think he gets a lot of flak from the players he impersonates? He is going to be fun to watch.
Do you like him better than Andy?