Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A Pespective on Amy Winehouse

Finding a source that spoke about Amy Winehouse was not especially difficult. She has been all over the entertainment headlines not only for her music, but for her often bizarre behavior. However, Christian Hoard describes her as "nervy" and "witty" in her newest album entitled Back to Black. He also supports my claim that her Motown sounding music has a universal appeal to variety of people. He states that some of her songs from this particular album "don't hold up." I definitely have to disagree with this statement. Winehouse's album is one of few that I can listen to from start to finish. She covers a variety of emotions and situations in her lyrics. Even her most depressing songs have an upbeat quality to them. Hoard also brings up two of her most controversial songs: one that describes an ex-lover and "a wistful gem in which Winehouse chooses weed over a lover." I thought it was interesting that he, of all songs, highlighted these two. While I also believe that these are great, interesting songs, I think that there are better on the album. I disagree with his use of controversy to draw in new listeners. There are songs that are more pertinent and just as interesting that he could have easily used.
http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/amywinehouse/albums/album/13355827/review/13385056/back_to_black

No comments: