Monday, January 28, 2008

Dreams of Pop Stardom

When I think about my dreams and interests as a kid, my first realization is that a lot of things have changed, that I am a very different person now. But if I think a little longer, I realize that I have not really changed that much. The dreams I had when I was little involved people and friends who are still very much a part of my life. I think that my most endearing childhood dream is my idea of being in a rock/pop band. I spent several years of my childhood with three best friends in a club that centered around our common love for the Backstreet Boys. The whole idea seems humorous to me now, but we took ourselves very seriously at the time. I would dream about growing up and becoming a female version of the Backstreet Boys, even touring with them. The goal seemed very attainable at the time; my sister and I would sing together, and it sounded like girl band material. My sister, an anonymous friend who may or may not be in this class, and I would spend hours making up complex dances to various pop songs, all the while envisioning ourselves on stage opening for our beloved Backstreet Boys. I was convinced that we were more familiar with all of their songs than any other fourth-grade girl. I knew that with our obvious talent, it was a sure and steady road to fame. Even in junior high school, I still dreamed with four of my best friends about forming a band and opening for our favorite artists. While my dream of becoming famous has admittedly faded, my love for music remains. I guess my childhood dream about being in a pop band was just my way of loving music at the time. And my best friends with whom I made up Backstreet Boy dances are still my best friends as a senior in high school. So when I think about my thoughts about the future as a fourth grader, I realize that my perceptions were not terribly off track.

3 comments:

The Invisible Observer said...

I think that it is a normal phase for young people to want to be a rock/pop star. I know I did. I think it is cute that you and your friends wanted to be a female version of the Backstreet Boys. And I love that you were so serious about it. I can not believe that it has been that long since the Backstreet Boys were charming preteen and teenage girls through their music.

Phil Da PIll said...

hahahaha love it girl, yea i guess girls have those dreams. I think yall should still try it out, i mean come on!, you can still have a good future in that. I used to tell people that they were awful, then run to my CD player and pretent that i could do as good, and maybe even...sniff...sniff..be one. Yet i'm stuck watching that dream flow away...lol.

always standing small said...

Ok so we can both blab about our embarrassing friendship, but in all honesty I am glad that dreams of stardom did not come through. The things that influence someone’s childhood are not always direct reflections of their current personalities. I am proud to know that you have past your Backstreet Boys days, dragging your friends (in and out of this class) out of the stage as well. However, your love for music is still obvious through your constant practices. You are a well accomplished musician, maybe not as much as the Backstreet Boys, but much better than when you were in fourth grade. As for your dancing…