Monday, January 28, 2008

what i dreamt of becoming

When I reminisce on what I wanted to be when I was growing up one memory seems to keep coming to mind. When I was about ten or eleven I wanted to become a back up dancer for Britney Spears. I would spend hours upon hours choreographing dances to her songs up in my room. The night that her second CD came out I rushed out to buy it. For the rest of the night I was upstairs listening to and dancing to my new obsession. On many occasions I requested my parents to come and watch me preform one of the many dances that I had come up with to her songs. Thinking back I am sure that the dances were all horrible, but never the less my parents were understanding. I thought that Britney was the best thing that had ever hit the music scene in the ‘90s. I like many girls were so caught up in the innocence and charm that she brought to MTV that I would tune in to TRL religiously to see where her videos landed for the day. One year Britney hosted one of the award shows, I recall trying to convince my parents into letting me stay up to watch it. I was so fascinated by what she was wearing and such that I distinctly remember throwing a fit when my parents told me it was finally time for me to go to bed. Furthermore, many of my friends were also into Britney, but looking back I think that I was the most hardcore about it. When she came through Charlotte my fourth grade year I begged my Dad to take me to her concert. I absolutely loved the emotion and excitement that she and her dancers brought to the stage. When we got home my Dad said he hated it, but I suppose that is expected. Over the years I began to grow out of my fantasy of becoming one of Britney’s dancers. Now I thank god that I did not follow through with my aspiration, since I am actually somewhat uncoordinated and more mature in knowing what I want to become.

1 comment:

Katie Jo said...

Wow! I just can’t imagine you being a back up dancer, but I think its great how everyone seemed to want to be something not very practical! I never was into Brittany Spears but I bet that you are probable glad that you don’t have much to do with her now, you might be in rehab with her! lol I'm just picking! But I do think that you are going to be very good at your broadcasting for EPSN and I think you made the better choice!