Monday, January 28, 2008

Prosecuting to the full extent of the law

Boundaries, education, work experience: If none of it mattered, I would be a prosecuting lawyer. I grew up with an argumentative family, and was constantly struggling to prove my point. Being raised as a republican, my view towards capital punishment can be summarized as, “Kill them all, let God sort them out.” I have no tolerance for illegal acts, be it drugs, murder or rape. Most small children dream of saving people, rather it be by saving the world, being a firefighter, or the popular doctor. Prosecuting and sending away felons, is my way of saving the innocent victims.
My grandfather has always been a patron of Law & Order and his love for courtroom television seeped into my brain early in life. Given, the television version of the court room is not at like reality, I have always envisioned myself playing the role of the district attorney, telling her lawyers what to do and what not to do, in hopes that I still have a job tomorrow. My dream goes further than simply putting people in jail. I love the chemistry in a law office, and the fact that both the prosecuting and defending lawyer go out to dinner as friends after the case…its great! Another deciding factor to my childhood dreams: Reese Witherspoon. Legally Blonde,he original, sent the cold chill of law school running through my bones. It was a cold chill, but a wonderful chill. That same chill that inspired me not only to use scented paper for a resume, but also to learn more about perms so I could put a murderer behind bars. Witherspoon, as Elle Woods, brought women back to the law office. Yes, I know what you’re thinking…women’s rights who cares. I am no Susan B. Anthony but it is refreshing to see a woman in such a commanding role. As a little girl Elle Woods was a hero of mine and I aspired to be just like her. She was a beautiful high school girl who broke up with her boyfriend and much to her ex boyfriend’s surprise she was accepted into Harvard, one of the most prestigious law schools in the country. What girl wouldn’t want to be her? Not the mention the murderer she put behind bars was a nappy headed, spoiled brat who did in fact kill her father for her inheritance!
Prosecuting law won me over. Between Law & Order and Elle Woods, I could save the world by sending wrong-doers behind bars while looking cute.

1 comment:

Lauren H said...

Legally Blonde is one of my favorite movies! I love the character of Elle Woods and I love how she played a part in your childhood dreams. Just like Elle, I bet you have a great fashion sense too. Your childhood passion for "persecuting to the full extent of the law" makes me think you would still make a great lawyer today! Have you ever considered Harvard law because I think you just won your case.