Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Making my dreams a reality…

When I was little, kids would always say they wanted to be a police officer, doctor, or teacher. I was different. I have wanted to be the same thing since I was 4 years old. I have never changed my mind and I think that is pretty cool. Still today I say, “I want to be a dolphin trainer when I grow up!” I am very passionate about my dream. It is somewhat crazy, but just talking about my future career makes me really excited and I even have a few butterflies. When I was about 4 years old, I was picked from an audience at SeaWorld to be in the dolphin show. Since then, I guess you could say, my life has been drastically changed.
When I ask people at school about what they want to be, not many people truly know what they want to do with their lives. These people keep changing their minds, especially in high school, and even during their senior year. I have even heard of people changing their minds half way through college! I think that career opportunities have changed significantly in the last few decades. When I was talking to my teacher, Mrs. Callison, she told me that when she was in school, a person pretty much knew what they were going to do with their lives almost as late as freshman year in high school. She told me that people in her generation did not really change their minds, they picked one career and stuck with it for life. Especially for women (and the major disappearance of most of the glass ceiling), careers are more accessible and you are able to make your dreams come true.
For me personally, I want to have a job where I love to get up for work every single day regardless of the size of the paycheck. Ultimately, I am working to make my dreams a reality. I am going to UNC Wilmington to study psychology and marine biology to someday become what I have always wanted to be
when I grow up.

4 comments:

SarahBishop said...

I loved the colors in your blog! It was so cute. (: But, it impresses me that you have basically known all your life what you want to be and are actually taking the steps to make it happen. I’m one of those people who don’t know what they wanna do and will probably change their mind several times in college. But, hopefully I’ll figure it out eventually and I’ll be able to have enough money to come see you in a dolphin show! ;)

Kenz said...

I think that it is really neat that you have known since you were four that you wanted to be a dolphin trainer. I wish that I could say I have known that I wanted to be a lawyer since I was four, but I probably didn't even know what one was. I think that a dolphin trainer fits your personality very well. I also thought it was cool that you mentioned that you wanted a job that you would actually like to get up and go to every day, no matter what the size of the pay check. That shows that you are really dedicated to your dream. Oh I also liked the way you made your blog colorful and the picture of you in the dolphin show.

Diamonds said...

I think it really cool that you where able to find what you wanted to be when you grow up. Not many people in this world get to pick a career that they really like, and for them it is a job or chore. But at least if you have a career that you actually like then it is all fun and games with a hint of hard work. So congrats to you for finding what you want to do.

Courtney said...

That is cool how you stuck with the same career choice. I have changed mine at least a dozen times. I changed it at least two or three times my senior year a lone. I have a stepsister that wants to do the same thing. She also wants to go to Wilmington. It would be great to go to college at the beach. Hope is works out for you. I like the different colors you used. It got my attention.