Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Creepy Crawlies and Everything Nice

As a child, my interests and thoughts changed like the weather. I had a best friend whom I spent most everyday day with during the summer. We would bike to each others houses and it was always a mystery what we might be up to that day. I don’t know if it was her or I who came up with idea to be “explorers” but I do remember the game was something we played quite often. Infact, for one summer the game became more of a way of life. It became necessary to carry survival back packs with us at all times. I always carried a pair of binoculars and she always carried a bird watching book (incase we ever need to identify an unknown species!). For fear that we might lose our way; we also always carried a hand drawn map of the neighborhood. Exploring was hard work and we prided ourselves on the ability to compromise work before play. My brother, being a devout Boy Scout, shared with us the Boy Scout way of life and so we took to heart the idea that we always had to be prepared. In order to get ready for big expeditions, we would practice drawing treasure maps on her driveway, studiously study the Mary Kate and Ashley detective movies, and earn funds for our planned trip by setting up a lemonade stand. We also had several trial camping trips in the middle of her living room. Anyway, the game of “explorers” ended as quickly as it started because we both came to the realization that I was too afraid of the dark and she was too afraid of creepy crawlies for us to ever have enough courage to enter into the unknown (or woods!).
Thinking back to my childhood, I see that my accomplishments and failures, such as not becoming the next great explorer, are not only a part of my past and who I am today but also a part of my future. If there were no obstacles in my way, I would love nothing more then to travel the world and experience other cultures firsthand.

1 comment:

*~*Cali Alli*~* said...

I honestly love your blog! I think that it is fantastic because I was the same way when I was younger. I loved the outdoors and I did some exploring for myself. Actually, I am the same way today. I loved the Mary-Kate and Ashley movies! My friend and I also made a lemonade stand! Well, that is what we called it, “lemonade.” It was actually composed of a bunch of melted popsicles. I truly loved how you finished your writing with the way you said that you would travel if there were no obstacles. Thinking about what you wrote makes me realize that I feel the exact same way. I think that is really cool!