Thursday, January 31, 2008

Where are we going?

When we’re children we often want to be the people that are glorified. Some typical jobs like cops, firefighters, astronauts, maybe cowboys and doctors come to mind. As the kids grow up they see who really gets the limelight- rock stars, movie stars, and T.V. personalities.
I myself fall victim to the latter. Who doesn’t want to be the attractive and talented David Bowie? Who doesn’t want to be the ecstatic Jimmy Urine? I honestly can’t think of a single person who would rather be someone else at some point in time. Sometimes I wish I could even be the president. However, if no boundaries held me down, I would want to be God. Oh please! Don’t give me that Bruce Almighty stuff, about how being god would be hard. If he’s omnipotent, that means he’s everywhere. God can’t be a single focused entity, so how hard could it be to listen to people? There would be millions of me. Anything I could ever imagine or want, all within the snap of a finger. The only downfall that would come with being the G-Man would be the fact that things as trivial as money and lust don’t phase him. So, to be the ultimate I don’t think would be all that fun. Of course the job wouldn’t be difficult in the sense of the work that needed to be done. However, I would sit on my throne of light for all eternity, and be ultimately affected by nothing. I would watch man’s entire existence pass in less than a blink of an eye and not think twice about it. Then, snap my fingers and destroy a mountain, or shed a tear and create an ocean. Being God would be interesting, and the ultimate reality for about 10 minutes. But then being God would be boring and never ending. The occasional hurricane Katrina prank would be good for a laugh every now, but in the end it's uninteresting, and detached. It becomes like all things humans take part in.
After thinking about it all, I think I’ll settle for Del Tha Funkee or David Bowie. Perhaps I would be Johnny Depp, he makes the ladies melt. And maybe, just maybe, I’ll settle for being a little peaceful nobody, that’ll sleep his way through life. Maybe I’ll be the nobody without regrets or live without having to answer to the ever present eye of the public. Yes, that sounds like it’ll be good, I’ll take it.

No comments: